Acceptable use of District Computers/Network
The Britton-Hecla School District offers students access to technology resources for educational activities. The purpose of the Britton-Hecla School District’s technology resources is to provide additional educational resources and communication tools for students. These resources will help teachers to facilitate education and research consistent with the objectives of the Britton-Hecla School District.
Definition – Technology Resources
The Britton-Hecla School District’s technology resources include but are not limited to the following resources: network, Internet, computer hardware, software, printers, servers, stored text, data files, electronic mail, optical media, digital images, and new technologies as they become available.
User Terms and Conditions
The use of Britton-Hecla School District’s technology resources is subject to the following terms and conditions:
1. The use of technology resources must be for educational and/or research purposes consistent with the mission, goals, and objectives of the Britton-Hecla School District along with State & Federal regulations. In compliance with federal law, the school district shall make reasonable effort to restrict access to inappropriate materials and shall monitor the on-line activities of the end users in the school environment.
2. User accounts are considered the property of the school district. Network administrators may review school computers and other equipment to maintain system integrity and to insure that users are using the system responsibly. While user files will not be examined without reasonable cause, users should not expect that anything stored on school computers or other equipment will be private.
3. Privacy and Safety
Ø Do not open, use, or change computer files that do not belong to you.
Ø Do not reveal your full name, phone number, home address, social security number, credit card numbers, password or passwords of other people.
Ø Remember that storage is not guaranteed to be private or confidential.
Ø If you inadvertently access a web site that contains obscene, pornographic or otherwise offensive material, notify a teacher, Network Administrator, or Principal immediately.
This is not a request; this is an expectation.
4. Prohibited technology resources activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
a. Sending, accessing, uploading, downloading, or distributing offensive, profane, threatening, pornographic, obscene, or sexually explicit materials.
b. Downloading or transmitting multi-player game, music, or video files using the school network except for classroom use.
c. Vandalizing, damaging, or disabling any computer equipment belonging to the school or another individual or organization.
d. Accessing another individual’s materials, information, or files.
e. Accessing social networking sites (i.e. Facebook, Twitter) during the school day.
f. Using the network or Internet for commercial, political campaign, or financial gain purposes.
g. Promoting or soliciting for illegal activities.
h. Attempting to repair, remove or install hardware components reserved for an authorized service technician.
i. Plagiarizing, violating copyright or other protected material laws.
j. Sending mass e-mail messages.
k. Online games or other services that can slow the system and waste users’ time and access.
l. Intentionally wasting school resources, such as excessive printing.
m. Attempting to log on to the Internet or network as a system administrator.
n. Installing, enabling, launching, or creating programs that interfere with the performance of the network or internet.
o. Creating, uploading, or transmitting computer viruses.
p. Attempting to defeat computer or network security including attempts to bypass the school’s firewall.
5. Britton-Hecla School District/State of South Dakota does not guarantee that its technology resources will be uninterrupted or error-free; nor does it make any warranty as to the results to be obtained from use of the service or the accuracy or quality of the information obtained on or by the network. Access to the network is provided on an “as is” basis without warranties of any kind. Neither the school district nor any of its agents or employees shall be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use the network or Internet.
6. Users shall be responsible for any costs, fees, charges, or expenses incurred under the person’s account in connection with the use of the network or Internet except such costs, fees, charges, and expenses as the school district explicitly agrees to pay.
7. Any security or equipment problems arising from the use of technology resources must be reported to the Network Administrators or Principal’s Office.
Violations will result in a loss of access to technology resources. Additional disciplinary action will be determined by administration. When applicable, law enforcement agencies may be involved.
Please sign the following form and turn it in to the principal’s office.
User’s Full Name (please print)
Home Address: ________________________________________________
We have read, understand, and will abide by the terms and conditions of the acceptable use policy. We also understand that any violation of the regulations is unethical and may constitute a criminal offense. Should I (the student) commit any violation, my access privileges may be revoked; school disciplinary and/or appropriate legal action may also be taken.
User Signature _________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature ___________________________________________________
There are multiple sections that need to be marked. You must accept or reject each section by marking the box at the end of the line. Please sign at the bottom of this form.
REGARDING ONLINE USAGE:
I agree to allow my child to participate in video-conferences that the class may choose to view throughout the school year.
I agree to allow my child’s picture to be used as part of a group such as a team photo.
I agree to allow my child’s individual picture to be used.
I agree to allow my child’s work to be used.
I agree to allow my child’s first name to be used. (last names are not used for any students with pictures or work)